Home » Arabic Grammar Practice 8.1; The First Verse of the Quran

Arabic Grammar Practice 8.1; The First Verse of the Quran

Peace be with you,

In this lesson we will:

Understand the meaning of the first verse of the Quran using the grammatical tools from previous lessons.

Like us on facebook and read daily musings on Arabic:

Exercises | Answers

Support iArabic by clicking here!

15 Responses to “Arabic Grammar Practice 8.1; The First Verse of the Quran”

1. Hamza says:

The word عالم has been pluralized as عالمين in this verse, but in MSA making plurals with ون and ين is only reserved for male human beings.

So please don’t think that in order to make plural of any word you just have to add ون or ين in the end

This is directed to learners from the video, not to you Adam.

2. Zohaib says:

In the video, it’s said that “alameen” is mudhaaf ilayhi of rab which is mudhaaf with respect to alameen. It is then said that alameen has a kasra since it’s mudhaaf ilayhi, but in the video it’s written with a fatha on the noon letter. Any reasoning for that?

Also, Adam is rabbi (kasra on the ba letter) an example of a non-dhamma mudhaaf that you mentioned in the comments for video 7? Using general mudhaaf and mudhaaf ilayhi, would it then be “rabbul alameeni”? Of course nauthubillah we won’t change the ayah of Quran, but I’m looking at it from a grammatical POV. Jazaks.

• Adam says:

Based on videos 1-7, your logic would be absolutely correct. But in video 8 we introduced harf al-jarr – and the first laam (lillahi) is a harf al-jarr that gives kasrah to whatever comes after it. In this case, Allah and Allah’s description (rabb). So they both get kasrahs (lillhi and rabbi). This makes more sense after videos 8, 9, and 10.

In regards to your question on alameen, because it is a plural it must take a different type of ending. So it would either be ‘aalameena or ‘aalamoona. This will be discussed in later videos.

And it’s fine to question what goes on in the Quran as long as you realize that we SEARCH for the truth rather than try to disprove what only we think is incorrect.

Finally, It’s actually great that you’re asking questions- it will certainly help students who thought they understood everything until they read questions they are unable to answer. I pray these answers are sufficient.

3. Zohaib says:

Sorry… the first question was answered later in the video and I overlooked it. I’m just wondering, is alameen showing mudhaaf ilayhi because the meem letter has kasra on it? That’ll be my last post so as to not flood the commentary section, sorry but I ask lots of questions. hey, ‘ilm minal mahdi ila lahdi :)

4. Zohaib says:

One other thing I was wondering Adam from a grammatical POV. I understand that “alhamdu” is the mubtada and everything that follows in the first ayah is the khabr, but don’t the mubtada and khabr have to match. There’s dhamma on the daal in “alhamdu” so shouldn’t there be tanween dhamma somewhere?

Here’s what I’m thinking so let me know if I’m right or wrong. Alhamdu is fine with dhamma as mubtada but since there’s a harf al jarr with lillahi, everything that follows demands a kasra. Is that correct thinking? So, if there was no harf al jarr with the initial laam in lillahi, then there would be a tanween dhamma? Jazaks

• Adam says:

Your thinking is correct, in general, Zohaib. This harf al-jarr construction is seen as similar to the khabr but not exactly, as there are some grammatical nuances being overlooked (it has to do with hidden words and meanings). Although they are not completely necessary to be able to understand the basics, in time it becomes necessary to understand these things.

We will address this further as we get on to more advanced videos, God-willing. You’ll have to trust me when I say that many things fall into place as you advance your study of Arabic. And they will, as long as you remain disciplined and continue to put effort in the study of Arabic.

I pray this makes sense and feel free to ask more if you need to!

Also, I received this video in my email recently, you may find it helpful:

5. Zohaib says:

shouldn’t one of the questions in the exercise “the pen belongs to the son of the teacher” not have an -al preceding the qalamu? I thought mudhaaf could not have -al before them ever?

• Adam says:

Qalam isn’t mudaf in the answer that is given, it is mubtada and hence must be definite (using al). Ibn is preceded by a Lam Harf al jarr (which means for or belonging to). However the word ‘mudarris’ shouldn’t have two kasrah’s; Hayat has fixed it so I’ll upload it once I get on my computer.

6. Zohaib says:

why is qalam mubtada and not mudhaf? Doesn’t it belong to someone? I don’t understand ustadh.

• Adam says:

Well let me try and put it another way: when you say “the pen belongs to” you’re essentially saying “the pen IS belonging to” as in the subject (mubtada) is PEN and the news (khabr) that you’re giving about it is – that it belongs to so and so.

Just because somethign is Mubtada doesn’t mean it can’t be mudaaf as well.
      Although in this case there is no mudaf or mudaf ilayh because there is a laam harf al-jarr.

Also, try and look at this:
      القلم نفيس
      Al- Qalamu Nafeesun. The pen is valuable.

al-Qalamu is Mubtada and Nafeesun is khabr

قلم زيد نفيس
      Qalamu Zaidin Nafeesun. Zaid’s pen (the pen of zaid) is valuable

Qalamu is mudaf. Zaid is mudaf ilayh. Qalamu and Zaid BOTH TOGETHER make Mubtada (so the subject is neither just zaid nor just any pen rather it is Zaid’s pen). Nafeesun is khabr (predicate, the news about the subject).

Hope this makes more sense.

7. Zohaib says:

sorry one more question. I may be getting ahead of myself, but in surah fatihah i was trying to break it down with what we’ve learned grammatically up til now. The verse maaliki yawmid din (Master of the DoJ). That seems like an idhafa sentence, so why is maaliki not maalikyu (with dhamma that the mudhaaf should have)? Jazaks. Also, pray that Allah azzawajal makes learning this beautiful language a form of yusr and not usr inshAllah.

• Adam says:

Yes keep steadfast in your learning, ya Zohaib! Well done on trying to practice what you’ve learnt on the rest of the Fatihah.

Note that Mudaf changes based on what comes before it (‘aamil), whereas mudaf ilayh takes kasrah (and is majroor, see lesson 9 and 10) because it’s ‘aamil is mudaf. Remember in the small challenge question of lesson 8 we saw a mudaf that was both mudaf and mudaf ilayh (the one in the middle) and so it took kasrah because mudaf ilayh gave it a kasrah. It being Mudaf doesn’t actually DO anything to the word itself, only to the word AFTER it.

In this case, because malik is an adjective (Master), it takes the ending of whatever it’s describing. In this case it is describing Allah (lillahi) and Allah has a laam-harf al-jarr on it so it has a kasrah. therefore, Malik must also take a kasrah.

8. hana badiango says:

assalamu alaikum,.what happen to the exercise an answer, i can open that before, but the it’s restricted :(

• Adam says:

Unfortunately the website that hosted the files went bankrupt or something… I’m still trying to find a solution! It may take time, so I ask for your patience :)